Friday, August 6, 2010

Starting a blogging journey

Do you know how many blogs are out there? How many blogs are created everyday? Is someone still tracking the number of blogs accessible through the internet? These questions have been buzzing in my mind for the last few days. I’ve tried to search for answers using search engines but what I only managed to find was an outdated data from Wikipedia stating that search engine Technorati was tracking more than 112,000,000 blogs as of December 2007. I wouldn’t be surprised if that number has doubled in three years time but one thing is for sure, more and more people are discovering the joys of blogging everyday. In fact, I have friends and acquaintances who embarked on their own blogging journey recently.

One of them asked me if it is worth getting the services of a web hosting company this early on her blogging journey. I told her that if she really wants to take blogging seriously then getting her own web host is a wise investment. However, I know of some people, myself included, who were all excited and full of zest when they started blogging but then slowly lose the focus and enthusiasm after a few months or years into blogging. So I told her that she can try any of the free blogging platforms first and then if she is really into it, she can then migrate the free domain into her own custom domain and get the services of a web hosting company. This is what I did for my first blog which now has its own custom domain.

I also warned my friend to start looking for the best deals among the myriad of web hosting companies in the market. I told her to make it a point first to get acquainted with how web hosting works as well as the many features and benefits that she should be looking on a reliable web hosting service. I advise her to compare the web hosting plans of different providers as well as the reviews from real customers. I even gave her a website for a web hosting hub to help her decide on the best web hosting provider that will suit her needs. I told her that there are cheap but reliable personal and small-business web hosting services out there.

More importantly, I told her that if she really wants to take blogging seriously just like any endeavor, she should put her heart and soul into it.

3 comments:

s rama mohan said...

thank u
good research was done even on
minute about even blog traffic also done by techonrati and much lot .visit my blog to generate online income with blogs
http://earningblog4all.blogspot.com/

StaLira said...

Just wondering how many blogs are active to this day...

TastefulVoyage

Sheila Sultani said...

It's interesting how the internet changes. I thought the number of bloggers was ever increasing. Yesterday I happened to read a very interesting article about this subject and some other interesting statistics. You can read it here:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/09/take-this-blog-and-shove-it.html